Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Resolving things...


Today is New Year’s Eve. For the most part it seems unremarkable. I got up this morning and did my usual routine…Up at 5:30 am, make coffee, Daily Office (Morning Prayer Rite II), then out for my morning walk… Other than the struggle of waking up and usually having to force myself out of bed, my morning routine is something I truly look forward to. The drive to work was a little more remarkable in that the scenery with sun breaking through the clouds was exceptionally beautiful this morning. The streams of light looked like strings of a musical instrument touching the ground as if the earth was its sound board. I almost expected some heavenly music… but got NPR instead…As far as it being New Year’s Eve, I began to reflect on the past year and wondered if I should even bother making any sort of resolutions… I can’t even remember if I made a resolution last year, much less what it was…
I do know that during this past year I did start some new things. The first thing that has come to mind is the aforementioned morning routine which was started in 2008. Not sure exactly how the morning walk got started other than an attempt to get back into a daily routine of doing some sort of physical activity. I did run across a podcast called “Pray-as-you-go”, which is produced by a Jesuit community in Great Britain. My discovery of the podcast and podcasts in general has helped me stay motivated with the walking. “Pray-as-you-go” is significant because of its simplicity; about 10 to 12 minutes long, basically some music, a scripture reading and a reflection on the reading; mostly music though. The music varies from day to day. Sometimes it is typical sacred music. Other times it ranges from contemporary to world ethnic (i.e. Ladysmith Black Mambazo). Regardless of the music, it helps an introspective person like me find some focus and not let my head get too far up in the clouds. I also catch up on “The News from Lake Wobegone”… my other favorite podcast. As my friend The Rev. Pat Grace advises, one must have a good belly laugh each day to feed the soul… Garrison Keillor does that for me… I usually end the walk by listening to some of my favorite tunes on the I-pod…
During my walk and while driving to work this morning I did ponder the issue of making a resolution… which caused me to think about the word resolution… Not sure what I need to resolve… I do know I want to keep up my morning routine. If for nothing else, it has helped me stay grounded and focused on spiritual things. It is a way for me to connect the dots and get back in touch with the meaning and significance of things. So I have resolved to keep that up…
As I have moved through life and become more experienced, by virtue of time passing, I find that I am more content with simple things. Maybe too it is that I have just begun to perfect the art of being in the moment. I remember reading or hearing from someone, that if a person could learn to truly be “in the moment” and not be preoccupied with the past or future, they would experience ecstasy… I can’t say that I have experienced ecstasy, but I will say I have a greater sense of peace and contentment in the little and unremarkable moments of life… especially on the morning walks. There is a feeling of resolve, if you will, that life really does not get any better that what I have right now. Of course, just like everyone else, my life is not devoid of ups and downs or the usual anxieties of living. There are times when I get preoccupied with the past or future; feel guilty about things I should have done differently or worry about upcoming events or uncertainties. I still get angry and frustrated with people in my life from time to time. But I will say it is much easier now to just let it go and get back into the moment, sometimes kicking and screaming along the way…but I get there eventually.
So this next year, let it be resolved that Gordon Brewer is going to stay the course… I will attempt to find joy in the moment no matter how trivial or boring it might seem. I will do my best to exercise patience with those around me. I will continue to advocate for those living in poverty in order to end the plight of poverty. I will strive to have a good belly laugh each day. I will pray daily in some form or fashion. I will take delight in my family, friends and loved ones and all the privileges that God has blessed me with. So here is a toast to the ordinary simple things of life… may we all find joy and happiness in the daily grind and morning walks…

No comments: